|TESOL International Association has defined a core set of principles for the exemplary teaching and learning of English as a new language. This exciting new book applies these principles to adults learning English in adult education and workforce development settings.
The 6 Principles and their recommended practices are targets of teaching excellence that provide teachers with the knowledge to improve instruction and assessment.
Instructional techniques are illustrated with a multitude of classroom examples and vignettes.
The 6 Principles will help educators
- develop English language instruction that directly serves learners’ needs and goals;
- respect, affirm, and promote learners’ home languages and cultural knowledge and experiences as resources;
- implement engaging and relevant lessons that build 21st century workplace skills;
- support learners in their acculturation to a new country;
- teach learners strategies that can sustain their language learning outside the
The book highlights important aspects of second language learning to help teachers
create beneficial conditions for productive English language development. Further,
it presents a valuable overview of challenges that adult learners face and offers
potential solutions to obstacles that affect their acquisition of English.
Sample tools (e.g., charts, techniques, activities) are ready to use in the adult English
“This book is an extraordinary resource for anyone who is part of the global community of English teachers, and by extension, administrators… It validates the experiences of seasoned practitioners and provides a well-researched set of practices that all teachers will find useful in their pursuit of excellence. Perhaps more importantly, implementing many of the practices presented in this book will markedly accelerate the integration of adult English learners at work and in our communities.”
Johan E. Uvin, Institute for Educational Leadership
See more 6 Principles resources at www.the6principles.org.