|The 6 Principles and their recommended practices are targets of teaching excellence
that provide teachers with the knowledge to improve instruction and assessment.
Instructional techniques are illustrated with a multitude of classroom examples and
vignettes. The 6 Principles are brought to life in Chapter 5 by portrayals of their
application in five distinct program contexts.
The 6 Principles will help educators
- develop English language instruction that directly serves learners’ purposes;
- respect, affirm, and build on learners’ background knowledge and experiences as
- engage learners as partners in shaping their own learning;
- implement active lessons that advance 21st century academic, professional, and
- support learners by collaborating effectively with stakeholders within their institution;
- collaborate within a community of practice to advance their own professional learning.
The book highlights important aspects of second language learning to help teachers
create beneficial conditions for productive English language development. Further, it
presents a valuable overview of challenges that ESP learners face and offers practical
solutions to address them.
Sample tools (e.g., charts, checklists, techniques, and activities) are ready to use.