The 6 Principles are universal guidelines drawn from decades of research in language pedagogy and language acquisition theory that should undergird any program of English language instruction. These foundational principles are for all educators in any classroom where students are learning English as a new language or learning content through that new language. They are applicable across different educational settings, such as classrooms with children, dual language learners, emerging bilinguals, and multilingual students.
- Essential information on language development and second language acquisition
- Detailed explanations of each of The 6 Principles
- Practical applications of The 6 Principles for your K-12 classroom
- Vignettes and examples from different contexts
- Ideas for building strong communities of practice
- A 6 Principles Self-Assessment
- Suggested applications for The 6 Principles beyond the classroom
Plus, gain access to informational videos and additional online resources for educators and educational personnel.
Learn more at www.the6principles.org.
“The 6 Principles for exemplary teaching of English learners elaborated in these pages provide an evidence-based foundation for schools to examine their own instructional practice and work collaboratively with colleagues, parents, and policymakers to enable English learners to acquire strong social and academic language proficiency…My expectation is that this lucid and inspirational book will act as a catalyst for a process of collective pedagogical inquiry in schools across the United States and internationally.”
- Jim Cummins, University of Toronto, Canada